- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, drained, squeezed dry and chopped
For silk chocolate frosting
- 1-1/3 cups butter, softened
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Stir in sauerkraut. Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
For frosting, beat butter, chocolate and vanilla in a bowl; add sugar and beat well. Add milk; beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake.